Our fluffy family members bring us joy, humor, and a lot of love – but they don’t share those sentiments with our carpet. Between dirty paws and bathroom accidents, pet owners can become easily frustrated with trying to keep their carpets clean and fresh. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to mitigate permanent damage to your carpets and keep them looking new. Keep reading for 5 carpet care tips for pet owners.
- Clean Carpet ASAP. While many stains won’t have a time limit (such as dirt), others, such as canine urine, can permanently alter the dye of your carpet if not addressed immediately. Try soaking up the stain with paper towels or an old rag before using any cleaners.
- Clean Carpet Thoroughly. Compared to humans, pets have significantly stronger senses of smell and can detect the pheromones from a previous accident long after it fades from their master’s noses. When cleaning, keep your pet’s sense of smell in mind and be as thorough as possible.
- Make the Carpet Unattractive (to your pet). Part of the reason for so thoroughly cleaning previous accident sites is to prevent your pet from using them again. If you eliminate their scent and make the area unappealing – while simultaneously making the desired bathroom area more appealing – you’re much more likely to change future behavior. To combat the remnant scent, look for enzymatic cleaners at your local pet store or supermarket and follow all bottle directions.
- Purchase a Small Steam Cleaner. Larger steam cleaners can do wonders for your carpet, but they’re both expensive to rent and inconveniently bulky to address every stain or accident. To take care of stains quickly and easily, consider purchasing a smaller, hand-held type steam cleaner that can be easily stored and retrieved as you need it.
- Win the War Against Pet Hair. Rounding out our list is pet hair’s nefarious ability to get on everything dark on your house. To limit the spread of pet hair, consider offering your pet a designated bed or play area. Lint rollers can be a great option for cleaning pet hair from carpet and furniture. This remedy may become expensive to maintain if you have multiple pets. For a DIY alternative, buy a roll of double-sided packing tape and wrap it around something cylindrical like the cardboard tube from a paper towel roll. Add layers of tape once the current layer loses stickiness.
Professional Surface Restoration’s patented process cleans hard surfaces including but not limited to, tile and grout, brick, block, concrete, granite, and marble Terrazzo. Our unique process for hard surface cleaning is revolutionizing the way you restore and maintain all floors back to their natural beauty, including carpet! Call us today at (419) 705-8693 to request a FREE demo.