Your carpet acts as the biggest filter in your home. Over time, it traps pet dander, dust, and other allergen-producing particles. Even though it’s important to keep up with regular professional cleanings, there are several tricks to help keep your carpet clean and fresh. Below are our top 5 advanced carpet cleaning hacks in between professional carpet cleanings.
- Deep Clean Carpet Cleaner. Making your own deep-clean carpet cleaner gives you more control over the chemicals brought into your home. This deep cleaner can be used in your rug-cleaning machine. It is made of ¾ cup of hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons dish soap, 5 drops of essential oils, 2 tablespoons of fabric softener, and one gallon of hot water.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar. This hack works wonders for spot treatments. If you have a small spill that does not require cleaning the entire carpet, use baking soda and vinegar. When you mix these products together, they produce carbon dioxide, creating lots of cleaning bubbles.
- Lemon Juice and Hydrogen Peroxide. This carpet cleaner is very easy to make. Mix some drops of lemon juice with hydrogen peroxide. This mixture can loosen and remove tough stains while leaving a fresh lemon scent.
- Remove Stains with an Iron. Vacuum your carpets first to ensure there are no particles of dirt sitting on the carpet. Dampen the stained spots with a towel moistened with one part vinegar and three parts water. Place the towel over the stain and heat it up using your iron. Slowly move the iron over the stain and it will start to lift into the towel.
- Baking Soda and Essential Oils. If you notice an odor to your carpet or it needs refreshing, this mixture can deodorize and give you a fresh scent. Add 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil scent to a 16-ounce box of baking soda. Mix together until the baking soda absorbs the oil. Spread the mixture over your carpet and let it sit for about five minutes. Vacuum up the powder and leave your carpet fresher.
No matter which of the above carpet cleaning hacks you try, your carpets will be clean and fresh. These tips can help you save money on pricey, do-it-yourself carpet cleaners and give you peace-of-mind knowing exactly what products you are putting on your carpet.
Have a carpet situation that the hacks above can’t fix? Give us a call at (419) 705-8693 and we’ll come out and take a look.